April 9, 2008

The Supernaturalist


by Eoin Colfer
2004 - Miramax Books, Hyperion Books for Children

I am a fan of the Artemis Fowl books written by Eoin Colfer so I was ready for an intelligent adventure in this new book. It was an adventure and it was somewhat intelligent, but I'm not sure it was on the same level as the Artemis Fowl books are.

The main character is a no-sponser (orphan) in the not too distant future who dreams of escaping the orphanage he's trapped in. When he gets his chance his life is turned upside-down and the reader is taken from one adventure to another with no real sense of a grounding or "home base" for the story. I suppose that helps you empathize with the characters feeling of not belonging anywhere and not knowing what to expect from one moment to the next, but I prefer stories that have a predictable arc.

It's definitely a fun escape, although there's a surprising amount of main character death for a book aimed at the pre-teen age group. I'd say it's perfect vacation reading (which is where I read it), but I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel(s) that will obviously follow.

No comments: