June 9, 2008

Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes

By Maureen Johnson
2005, HarperCollins Publishers

I’ve had this book on my shelf for a while now, but I finally got to it since it’s on my A to Z Reading Challenge list. I’m glad I did. This is the story of a girl from New Jersey who follows a “quest” set out for her by her aunt who sent her 13 little blue envelopes that she can only open as she completes each task. She starts in London and heads all over Europe with only her backpack and the instructions in the envelopes.
It’s one of those books that inspires you to backpack around Europe and try to have an adventure or two, but it still manages to tell the story of a girl trying to figure out what her aunt wants her to learn and who she really is.
As a small side note: She meets a family touring in Amsterdam with the last name Knapp. I think that’s the first time I ever saw my last name in print, as a story character. It was kinda weird to read her talk about Mrs. Knapp and Mr. Knapp. And they were kind of annoying. Oh, well.
Overall…great book. I read it in 2 days, less than 24 hours, it was that enthralling.

No comments: