June 9, 2008

The Host

By Stephenie Meyer
2008, Little, Brown and Company

This is the first book for adults written by the extremely popular and talented author of the Twilight series. It’s long (619 pages), but it’s so worth it. It’s a “scifi” story set on earth, but aliens called souls have come and taken over the planet by taking over human bodies as their own. Not all humans disappeared, though. There are some who are hiding out, resisting the souls and there are some that won’t go away even when a soul enters their body. They are rare, but Melanie the main character in the story, is one of them. It’s such a creative story and you really can’t predict where it’s going to go next.
There were moments where I was sure it was going to go in a direction that I wouldn’t like so I had to set it down for a while, but when I did pick it up again I was always rewarded with creativity and emotion that just increased my desire to know what was going to happen next.
I also have to say that it has one of the most satisfying endings of any book I’ve read in a long time. Two thumbs up. Beware friends…I’m going to try to get you to read it next.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I can't wait to read this! I'm not sure some of her fans will like this book as well because of its sci-fi nature but I can barely stand to wait. I haven't bought it yet because money is very tight right now so I'm waiting for it at the library. I'm #12 on the list so probably another month.
I noticed on your profile that you listed "Galaxy Quest" as one of your favorite movies. You are a girl after my own heart. Thanks for stopping by my blog.