February 26, 2009

Winter Thunderstorms

Today has been a day of rainy weather here in IL. I totally lucked out in that went I got to work and when I was leaving it wasn't raining so not having my umbrella wasn't a problem. Around 1:00 pm today the rain really started to pick up. It was dark, dark, dark outside and the rain was really loud and then there were huge claps of thunder and the lightning was super bright. Then the power went out.
Imagine sitting in the library during a normal school day. Students are buzzing around, some at computers, some studying at tables, the classrooms are full and staff are minding their business in their offices. Then the power goes out. The lights are gone and it's really, really quiet. It was weird. Of course, we didn't know how long it would be off so for the most part everyone just stayed where they were. I did go down into the basement because my student worker had been working in a room down there and I wanted to make sure she was ok.
The power was only out for about 15 minutes, but it was still a nice little adventure to break up the day.

No comments: